Tuesday, April 03, 2007

"Never look down on anybody unless you are helping him up.- Jesse Jackson

Lending a helping hand

It is easy to get down on someone when you aren't in their shoes. Often we throw in our two cents when it is not only unwanted, but also unhelpful and useless. Resist the temptation to waste your breath on pointless criticism at someone else's expense. Don't give advice to people unless it is asked for, lest you belittle them and come off looking like a know-it-all. Instead, examine ways you could help that person. Rather than continuously feeling irked by a coworker's mistakes, could you lend a hand or explain a task to her in a respectful way? You never know when the shoe will be on the other proverbial foot. Help others and one day it might come back to you. "

I just read this today and realized just how much I do this...become critical instead of helping, use judgmental words instead of encouraging ones. As a christian, I find that instead of simply giving a situation to God, I keep it and try to fix it myself without even seeking God's guidance. I hate it when people do that to me.

Figures... the first person I always have to change is myself...hmmpf!

3 comments:

dawn2454 said...

Good to see you are still posting here once in awhile. I know I haven't been coming here too often myself, but I think I'm gonna have to try and make an effort to do so again.
Thanks for being a friend, and listening to me today. Much appreciated.
It's often so difficult to just hand everything over to God, and to just leave it there with Him. Perhaps if we were able to do that more often we would start to actually see some results...you think??
Well as you said, the first person we always seem to need to change is ourselves....sigh. Guess that's something I really need to try and do. I know I was upset and complaining about some things today, and I have to be honest in saying that I know I have my own problems and hangups to deal with. I also know that things around here are stressful, my health has not been very good, and it's easy enough for us all to say and do things we don't always mean at the time. Ah, I suppose that's just the way life is!!
Have a great week Mo. God Bless!!

mo said...

Hey Dawn!!!
Yah, I haven't been posting very much, just when I really have an epiphany (sp?) or I don't want to forget something that I just learned or read. It's not really for the audience, just writing to myself. I like that it's not hidden away in a book anymore though. People can read if they want...or not, whatever.

I'm glad I could be a friend to you. It's really nice when we can talk to other people about what's going on in our lives. We all have struggles.

I thought about adding a blog about marriage. It's really been on my mind the last couple of years and I really need a place to air it all out. I'm not sure if I want anyone to read it though. I might just buy a hard cover book at the dollar store. I don't know...

dawn2454 said...

Sometimes those little hard books do just the right job, although they too can be found by some and read.
Hope you had a great time on your weekend away and that you'll share some of it. Wish I could have gone!